Friday, October 30, 2009

Cash-less Monopoly???

I just heard that there is now a Monopoly edition that uses an ATM-like machine instead of real cash.



Isn%26#039;t one of the goals of Monopoly to teach children how to budget their money and develop finesse with their finances?



What on earth could be the point of this new edition? Is it to teach people how to be lazy and thrive on %26quot;hoping%26quot; that they have enough money in the bank? Do players perhaps have the option of having an assistant do the difficult tasks like rolling the dice and moving their game piece.



I find this really a bit disturbing and rather sad. What are your thoughts?



Cash-less Monopoly???credit rating





No, it is a great idea, how many times have you been robbed playing monopoly when all of a sudden they bust down the door hold a gun at your head and take all the cash on the table....duh.



Cash-less Monopoly??? loan



Wow I never really thought of it like that. You%26#039;re so right. I think it%26#039;s just to make the game easier and quicker, and there%26#039;s less of a chance for the person sitting next to you to steal your money. But you%26#039;re right. I like the original.|||sadly it%26#039;s the sign of the times and yes it is sad|||Err... what happened to the %26#039;Traditional%26#039; Monopoly...? Why can%26#039;t we play that instead?|||i totally agree 100% with you. its teaching kids to be lazy. they dont have to do the math and learn anymore. i thought that was the fun of the game too was playing with the money. everything is getting lazier and lazier. they might as well go ahead and play the game for me and let me know if i won or not. is there a button for that now too that i havent seen lol..|||Yeah, what are the Monopoly people thinking? Why teach the kiddies that you can only spend what you actually have--how are the credit card companies and banks going to survive if nobody learns how to overextend their credit and buy things without paying for them immediately???|||Seeing as how the toilet has already been flushed, I see no reason to obsess about that little shred of TP that for some reason resurfaced.|||I actually was trying to buy this game for myself. I am not a child, but I wanted the game. I understand what you are saying, that having real money works on math skills for children, etc. In this time though, everything is becoming electronic. I wanted the game to play with my family at Christmas (we are all grown). They have a small house and it is easier to play without the money because the lack of space. The game is also different than the regular game because it has new rules, with more money than the original. I really do not have such a problem with the game. If you are buying the game to teach children, then yeah. But if you are buying it as a form of entertainment, who cares if you are using real money or a debit card? At least people are playing games together instead of sitting alone on a computer or watching TV.|||I hate to say this, but Monopoly is NOT about teaching children budgeting and finances... it%26#039;s about GREED and HOARDING properties, and hiking up the RENT in order to make MONEY... MONEY MONEY!!!



As for this version of Monopoly, I don%26#039;t see anything wrong with it. It is merely a way of keeping track of the player%26#039;s money balance and such... like a small calculator that merely keeps track of numbers. It is not issuing ANY sort of credit to the players. There are online/computer Monopoly games ALL OVER the place these days. What is the difference between THESE computerized versions that keep track of each players%26#039; finances and this version of the old board game?



When I was a child, I played Monopoly without money. I had a notebook, however, to keep a running tally of positions/properties/etc. instead of a machine, of course. It didn%26#039;t play ANY differently than if I used the Monopoly-money provided, only that it allowed the game to continue on virtually forever since the SUPPLY of the Monopoly-money was NOT LIMITED. Frankly, it was more %26quot;real world%26quot; than the game in that way. Can you imagine saying to Donald Trump, %26quot;Sorry, but you cannot collect rent on Park Place since the there%26#039;s no more CASH in the till%26quot;???? HAHAHAHAHAHHAAH!!!



Sorry, but I have to disagree with your %26quot;sad%26quot; assessment. I don%26#039;t find anything disturbing or wrong about it at all.



Everyone is entitled to my opinion.|||I love your new profile, Pippi...



LMAO...



But to answer your question...



I%26#039;m pretty sure the %26quot;game of Monopoly%26quot; original designers%26#039; original purpose was to...



Get rich from the sales of their board game by fooling people into thinking that it %26quot;served an educational purpose...%26quot;



The only thing that %26quot;I%26quot; learned from %26quot;Monopoly%26quot; as a kid, was...



My older sister absolutely refused to let me be the %26quot;car piece...%26quot;



So I always got stuck with the dumb %26quot;bell piece...%26quot;



(But I forgave her...she%26#039;s cool...so I decided to love and cherish her instead of killing her...and in retrospect...I think I made the right decision)|||Never played this version but wouldn%26#039;t want to play without paper money...



Found an article about this today...



http://www.cdmworld.com/articles/79/1/Mo...

No comments:

Post a Comment